Friday 6 April 2012

Chicken proof fence needed to keep chooks out of veggie patches!!!

With grand plans of a large Kitchen Garden with numerous large garden beds I have to be able to manage when the chooks can go in and clean up!!!!  So I had to fence off the veggie patch area.
About a quarter of the back garden closest to the house is now fenced off.  I still to have access for wheel barrows, wheelie bins, my mulcher, possible diggers and other supplies with a large gate. The path up to the back garden, chooks, orchard and back shed is used all the time so an easy gate to open and close was needed. This has a small pedestrian style gate with a butterfly gate latch which is easy to  use one handed. (important when carrying chook scraps up and eggs back down)!!!!
This fence now means we can walk up to the veggie patches with out opening any gates making it much more accessible.

Large access gate on boundry fence.
So Posts and strainers were put in using hand held post rammer and post hole digger. Gates were then hung

Chooks are now kept out and I now have another project on my list. Yes numerous raised garden beds. I was thinking railway sleepers as the garden bed borders, then cypress pine sleepers, now I'm thinking Blue stone blocks.
Watch this space and see what I end up using.

Really really happy with outcome chooks still have heaps of area to free range. And now the veggie patch area is readily accessable with out having to open make shift gates down near house.

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Another gate down the side of the house this isn't
used much but is handy when needed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment