Friday 6 April 2012

OK the Raspberries I planted last year were a disaster!!!!!!

The Raspberries I planted last year were a disaster. only a few survived the chooks had access to them and only one is still alive........ YIKES.......

Lookiing good. Fenced off from chooks
and mulched heavily with Lucern Hay.
About a month ago a client of mine got me to remove a large patch of Raspberries in her garden which had taken over an area of her garden.  I decided to take home the Raspberries and despite the weather forecast, HOT 33-35 for about three days.  I put the removed Raspberries into buckets of seasol to soak for a few hours, picked a spot to plant these 40-50 canes all up.  I decided to plant these all along the front of the chook pen. I dug a hole for each bare rooted Raspberry cane filled it with water planted the cane and then mulched with Lucerne hay.

And this time I have fenced them off properly so chooks don't destroy them.

I read some where 20 canes per person will allow enough for eating, with surplus for jam, cooking, freezing etc. I have 40-50 and as they runner I will divide and plant more along fence near veggie patches as well...... Our family LOVES Raspberries..................

No comments:

Post a Comment