Sunday 7 August 2011

More Pollination Please!!!

I want the orchard to be visually beautiful as well as productive. To help fruit set by attracting bees with the mass of flowers they produce and to make it look good I decided to plant Rosemary & English Lavender between the apple and pear trees in the Garden Orchard. I alternated Lavender - Rosemary - Lavender, Etc, Etc.  And again they needed protecting from the chooks. So I put plastic tree guards around them. The rosemary and lavender can both be used for more than just their beauty when in flower.  The strong oils and smell of Lavender is said to possibly deter bad insects from coming close to them. We will see, but I know they will attract insect to aid pollination in spring. WOOOO HOOOOO!!!
The fruit trees and lavender/rosemary plants all planted
and set to grow this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment