Saturday 27 August 2011

Planting the Cherry Trees.

This week I was driving home from Emerald and passed a Plant Nursery with a sign out the front advertising bear rooted fruit trees. Impulsively I had to have a couple of Cherry Trees!  So in I went and purchased two, a "Stella" and "Van".   But because this was an impulsive purchase I didn't even think where or if I had the space to plant them. So when I got home I looked for a place. D'OH!!!!


"Van" Cherry Tree planted

"Stella" Cherry Tree planted

I realised I couldn't plant them where there was space because we are having a large gum tree removed in the next month leaning over our house, they would be destroyed by falling timber during the process. ARRRGH these needed planting now, they wouldn't last bear rooted for a month, they will be at bud burst in the next week or so.  I knew where ever I planted them they would have to be netted so the birds and possums didn't eat the bounty of yummy fruit they would  start producing in a few years time. Then it hit me. Yes why not plant them inside the chicken pen. Hell it was plenty big enough and at 2.5m high, with pruning they could be kept below this height. Best of all I wouldn't have to net the trees each year. The chook pen was already bird proof!!!! And they will be mulched and fertilised automatically. So that is where I planted them, some times working under pressure creates the best results. Genius!!!!!
Cherry trees planted in chook pen
Genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment