Saturday 6 August 2011

Rosemary & Lavender to Attract Bees & other Pollinating Insects...

 The fence in front of the chook pen ready for planting
I've been reading about pollination lately and decided to make sure I get a good fruit set with my fruit trees I would plant some plants that attract insects. No seeing I want this to be a productive garden as much as possible I thought I should look for not just flowers that attract insects but a plant which flowers but can also be used and of course it had to look and smell good too!!!

Lavender & Rosemary was my answer.  I found a great deal at my local nursery in Mobulk a tray of 42 tubes for $35!!! A bargain, and seeing i will be stripping all blossom and fruit of the trees in the first year to let the trees get established, the small tubes will have a few years to grow in size as well.

The little tubes planted just the mulch to go
then it's done.
Knowing these small tubes would have no chance against the rage of 7 sets chooks feet I needed me some serious protection from them.

I decided to plant a hedge of alternating Lavender & Rosemary along the front of the chook pen. the chooks could keep it trimmed as it grows throught the chook pen and I can hedge/cut back else where when needed.

I used star pickets and some wooden stakes to support a fence of chicken wire.  The tubes where planted 50cm appart the Rosemary and lavender aternating. they were then watered in using Seasol, a sea weed fertilizer.

The I mulched it using straw from the chook pen. And now i wait and watch it grow!!!



Finished, all mulched and planted out!

Looking from the neighbours side of the boundary fence

No comments:

Post a Comment