Monday 1 August 2011

Insect Home to Attract the Good Guys!!!

Bamboo in top 'frame', Straw behind
slats in enclosed bottom section.
Well I finally got around to building a beneficial Insect Home to hopefully attract lady birds, lace wings, spiders and solitary wasps. These are all good insects to have in the orchard and garden in general to deal with various kinds of aphids, moths and other insects that cause grief in the orchard and veggie gardens.
I first heard and saw insect homes in England in community veggie garden. They looked good and I liked the idea of them, so thought I would try them here in OZ and see if they work.


Tin roof added. Even insects need
protection from the rain!!!
The home is in two parts an open frame up top jam packed with short lengths of bamboo canes. These are hollow creating lots of holes for insects & spiders to make homes in. The gaps around the bamboo also make ideal homes. then below is basically a box fully enclosed except at the front where strips of wood create openings. Inside this box is filled with loose straw, apparently this makes ideal homes for lady bugs and lace wings.

I have now screwed the insect home to a trellis post in the middle of my garden orchard. Hopefully it attracts the insects I'm hoping it to!!!  To aid this I will plant some lavender at the end of each row, bees and insects LOVE lavender! It will help pollinate fruit and veggies too!
Installed in the orchard.Screwed to trellis post
in between apple trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment