Saturday 30 July 2011

The 5 Gold Fish are In!

Can you see the orange fish! They love it in there!
About 6 months ago a client of mine asked me to chainsaw up some old timber furniture and a wine barrel in to fire wood for them. The wine barrel had a hole chopped in one end and had been used as a dog kennel. Other than the hole the barrel was in excellent condition. far to good to be used as fire wood. I chopped the top third off using a chainsaw. The end with the hole in it I took up the back garden, sat it on the ground and filled it up with good soil. This will be planted with strawberries.
The finished wine barrel fish pond!

The good bit of the barrel I sat up on bricks in a garden bed which can be seen from in our living room. I filled it up and over the next week it swelled up and no leaks at all perfect for a water feature come fish pond.  I let it sit for another week then bought some native water plants a small native water lilly and a native rush type plant. They have been planted in terracotta pots filled with dirt, then I used gravel to cover the dirt so the dirt doesn't much up the water. I then left the wine barrel with plants for another month so everything could settle and algea, water bugs, insects, etc create a proper aquatic environment.  Now algea, bugs, plants, etc are thriving which means fish will thrive and have something to eat!  SO today I went and bought me some gold fish. Five in all, 3 yellow/gold 2 normal orange gold fish. They are in and loving it. Time will tell if I need to put mesh over the top of the barrel. Kookaburra's may be a problem!


No comments:

Post a Comment