Saturday 30 July 2011

Fig Trees Planted

2 Fig Trees planted with swales &
tree guards installed

Well I finally decided on where the two Fig Trees will be planted and with a beautiful sunny warm winters day another day pottering was in order.  Because Fig Trees get so SOOO BIG if left to them selves I will be training and pruning my two figs Espalier Style.  Two holes were dug, half filled with water, some Dynamic Lifter pellets and blood and bone fertilizer was added, then the trees planted and the hole back filled with soil mixed with Blood & Bone and more Dynamic Lifter pellets.  Chook protection was added to protect the trees while growing. A few bits of aviary mesh were made into a few tree guards with a few wooden stakes used to hold in place.  I then made a couple of earth swales to help capture water following the contour of the land. I used rocks laying around to retain the swales and protect them from the chooks scratching!!!  The end result is great. Grow you little fig trees GROW!
I want to start training them into Espalier. I've never trained fruit trees to Espalier.  I'm excited!!!!  
Close up of rocked earth swale & tree guards in

No comments:

Post a Comment