Friday 29 July 2011

New garden bed built! Now what to plant.

Chooks always love it when I did in the garden!
Lots of goodies to eat.
I had some daylight left after planting the Avocado trees so I built a new garden bed ( I think I will plant strawberries in it). I used rocks as a border and to retain the soil. As you can see in the photo's as usual the chooks were keen to help! eating anything that was edible as I dug.
This has defined the pathway up to the chook shed a lot better. I will mulch this path with pine mulch
(i have a huge pile of mulch from the Pine trees I removed up the side of our driveway). This will make it a lot less slippery in the wet.   
Well it's Saturday morning and while cleaning out the chook shed this morning and replacing all the old straw with nice new stuff I noticed lots of gum leaves and small twigs covering the lawns. They had built up over the months and needed raking up. Now in the past I would have burnt them, but i decided to pile them up and run my mulching mower over them and use that as mulch on the path instead of wheel barrowing loads of mulch up the hill all the way to the back of our property.  So not only have i got rid of the leaf build up problem they have made a perfect bush mulch for the path up to the chook shed which was getting slippery when wet!  Awesome, this will be continued in the future. No burning leaves any more!!!
The newly finished garden bed. I'm thinking strawberries
will be good here!

The piles of leaves and twigs turned into
great mulch path. Perfect!

1 comment: