Sunday 24 July 2011

Rosella, Sugar Glider or Micro Bat Log Home

Log panel attached to plywood box
Log panel finished with entrance hole
and perch in place 
Well I've been itching to make my first animal Log Home/Box to put up in the garden. My wish is to attract a sugar glider or feather tail glider into a Log Home I've built.  I used the chainsaw to cut a front panel for the box off a log from a Black Wood tree. A very hard wood with good textured bark. So with this front panel cut into shape approx 250mm wide 490mm high I used a 65mm hole drill to cut the entrance hole into the wood panel. The first problem encountered the drill wasn't deep enough to go right through the wood panel. So out with a small chisel and hammer to cut a hole 65mm right through. I had some external 21mm form plywood left over from building my chook house which I used to make the 2 sides, base and lid for the box.  I painted each cut with a wood sealer to help seal the plywood so it's more weather proof. a hole was drilled a little smaller than the diameter of the perch/branch. I filed the end of branch/perch to a taper and then hammered the perch into the hole. It's a tight fit and will support the largest of birds or possums. I drilled and screwed the plywood base, sides and back together. I then screwed the log panel to the front box i applied liquid nails to the panel and front of the box for added strength. Care was taken no sharp screw points are exposed.  A lid was then attached using a couple of stainless steel hinges. It's important to have access to the nest in case feral animals take up residence and you need to remove it. 50mm of saw dust and wood shavings have been put in the base of the nest this imitates how a natural log hollow would be. Now my first box is complete I need to let it rest until the paint and glue is dry and the fumes are no longer smell. 3 drain holes have been drilled in the base, a hole drilled up the top of each side which will be used to hang the box in the tree. I will use plastic coated clothes line steel cord threaded through the box with garden hose over the cord where it comes in contact with the tree branch supporting the box.
The finished home with hinged lid
I will post a photo when the box is installed in the tree. I'm very happy with the finished nest box. Just hope the birds or bats or gliders are happy with it and something makes it their home!

No comments:

Post a Comment