Monday 11 July 2011

Life needs water! So does my back garden!

trench dug to veggie patch with pipe laying in
Having no taps in my back garden has been a real drag, far to much time watering my veggie patch by watering can, MADNESS. I had to get water to my veggie patch, the chicken pen and the soon to be orchard all in the rear garden. I connected 1 inch high pressure polly pipe to the copper pipe near a tap on the side of the house. You need a flaring tool to flare the copper pipe then a copper to polly fitting easily connects the polly pipe to the copper house mains water pipe. I then connected the polly pipe to the fitting. A ball valve tap was put in near house so I can turn the water off in the back garden when needed (to add taps add mains or do any other work in the future). Seeing gardens change this is a must. It was easy from here. A simple matter or dig, dig, digging. A trench was dug from under the house to the veggie patch, where a tap was fitted to the polly pipe.  Then more digging up the hill to the chicken pen, where another tap was added.  The trench is dug as deep as you need/want. As you dig put the pipe in and back fill as you go. This keeps the pipe in place and stops it popping out of the trench.  
Trench back filled to keep pipe from popping out

Tap installed and back filled now digging up the hill
to the chicken pen where another tap is to go 
The taps are 1 inch ball valves, i chose these as all I have to do is turn the handle 90 degrees and the tap is on full. These also last a lot longer than conventional taps. No washers, no leaks, Ball valves are long lasting and trouble free. The out let of the tap is a male clip on garden hose connector. This means I can connect any garden hose with a standard female hose connector. These two taps have transformed the usability of my rear garden. I won't hesitate to expand my veggie patches this spring, once I've fenced them off from the chooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment