Wednesday 13 July 2011

Keeping The Chooks Healthy and Warm in Winter!!!

Well the last week has seen winter hit with a vengeance, cold & wet most days. The mud has been kept to a minimum in the chicken pen because of the bales of straw I had already spread on the ground. My thinking is this straw is being turned over by the chooks constantly, I chuck seed and food on the straw and the chooks dig through it turning it over and over pooing all the time adding fertiliser. In spring I will collect all this rich mulch to use on the veggie patch & orchard.
Perspex window 

The finished chook house done finally!
The chook house has 3 windows. 2 small windows opposite each other on opposing walls with wooden eaves protecting them from rain and wind. On the front of the chook house above the nesting box is a large window made from steel reinforcing mesh. Great for ventilation in summer but I think a bit to cold in winter. One of the gates a bought for the chook pen off ebay had a sheet of perspex attached to it which I took off to reduce the weight of it, I stored it in the shed I knew it would be useful for something. I measured the window and cut a piece of perspex to fit, attached a sliding bolt on both sides of it pushed it into the window drilled tow holes for the sliding bolts, and presto, fully water proof and wind proof. The chooks should now be much more cosy during winter, light can still get in, and in summer i can easily remove it to allow for full ventilation to cool things down. A perfect solution!


No comments:

Post a Comment