Monday 11 July 2011

Planting the Olives

3 Posts 3 Olive trees will provide fruit & screen neighbours
Now I'm not a fan at all of the repulsive olive!  My wife however devours them. So our garden was always going to have some Olive trees. While in Spain I saw some beautiful trees out the front of a cafe in a small country town. These trees were Olives pruned in the shape of umbrellas, tables underneath and I sat to shelter from the hot summer sun. I loved the look of these Olive Trees and continue to love the look of Olive trees today look so good in the Australian landscape. So now I've planted 3 in a nice curve on our boundary fence. 2.4m pine posts was put where each tree would stand.  The post 600mm into the ground, (1.8m out of the ground). They where planted with a good layer of straw mulch around the tree and tied to the posts to offer support as they grow. They will be kept to between 2-3m tall and will provide shelter from wind and some privacy from the neighbours. And my wife WILL use the olives. When we get our first crop I will pick them, my wife will cure them and eat them, YUCK!!!
Olive trees supported by pine posts

No comments:

Post a Comment